How can we improve your experience with Office 365?

Office 365 Domain Management Panel Needs a 'Delete Domain' or 'Change Domain' feature

I am trying to detach a domain from my Office 365 account to use it with an enterprise grade Office 365 account not offered through GoDaddy. Unfortunately, the only option to release this domain is to delete the account on the GoDaddy panel. Being able to explicitly control the domain attached to user names (post creation) would be most helpful.

For reference, in the direct Office 365 plans the account can be changed back to the original email, e.g. username@EXAMPLE123456.onmicorsoft.com, to directly un-lock this domain for other accounts use.

Here is the error received when trying to add a domain on the new enterprise account:

Can't verify domain
mydomain.com was already added to a different Office 365 account NETORG147145.onmicrosoft.com.
Sign in to that account as an admin, and remove domain mydomain.com. Then come back here and try adding mydomain.com to this account again.
If you can't sign in to NETORG123456.onmicrosoft.com as an admin, try resetting your admin password.

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew Owens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Under Review  ·  David Denby responded  · 

Andrew, thanks for reaching out.

I have mentioned this to my product development team and we are working on designing a domains management system. But for the meantime, if you contact our 24/7 support team, they can help you remove your domain more easily.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Owens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: One way to check if the issue is with a Microsoft or GoDaddy server is by doing the following:

1) go to the address "portal.office.com", type in the username@mydomain.com (associated with the old 'stuck' account linkage).

2) If the portal redirects the account to the GoDaddy 365 login portal the issue is with associations in the user & groups 'default account' with the GoDaddy account. If the portal does not redirect the issue is likely to be with MS.

In the former case the changing of the default user account to something other that the mydomain.com has to be done BEFORE the account (product) is removed from the GoDaddy account. If the account gets deleted without this change (oops I did this) a 'complete' account user data deletion is required from the GoDaddy servers. In this case all of the user data can not be recovered, but the domain linkage should be open for use in a new account.

Feedback and Knowledge Base